These past 4 weeks, we have mostly been stabilizing the multiplayer aspect of the game, but we also took the opportunity to improve some features. Here is a list of the main changes we made:
- New icons for materials
- Cognitrons around unknown structures are a bit more aggressive and now exist in different tiers (with a variation in color)
- The plasma gun has been enhanced (area damage, charged fire which can destroy the ground, secondary fire which throws a sticky bomb)
- You can now swim in water (an oxygen supply icon has been added)
- The “final quest” object is now deactivated once the stolen plans retrieved
- The ingredient slots of the crafting window are now filled automatically even if multiple choices are possible
We also improved our engine performances:
- Divided by 2 the initial universe loading time (the progress bar during the loading when you create/load an universe)
- Improved by 30% the world generation time, the "popping" time. This is noticeable in game when you pick up blocks or when you travel.
A detailed list of all the improvements can be found in the release note which you can find on the download page.
As a reminder, all the features of the Alpha 2 version can still be found here: http://www.stellar-overload.com/news/85/
I’d like to remind you that the view distance has a drastic impact on the network performance: it’s probably better for now to keep the default view distance of 24m when playing in multiplayer, you will have a better playing experience. Of course will keep working on this issue during the whole development cycle of the game.
Enjoy! And feel free to give us any feedback, good or bad!