The construction prototype has been released 1 month ago and we’d like to thank you all for your constructions, critics and bug reports.
This month we have decided to put forward 6 of your constructions:
constructions de Mandrek, Dastan71, Wowman77 et Epsilon32
We focused our efforts on 2 of the most important parts of Planets³ : Multiplayer and rendering optimizations.
Mick’s arrival enabled us to make progress regarding the multiplayer implementation of the game. We are also putting in substantial amount of efforts on the design and structure of our code.
After spending several days of development, thinking, and investigation, we now know what we have to do in order to improve the rendering performance of the game. We even discussed our issues with experts on massive data rendering in french research laboratories (INRIA /CNRS) these last few weeks and they confirmed what we suspected : we have to satisfy some technical specifications.
Sadly Ogre, which is the rendering engine we are currently using, doesn’t allow us to satisfy those specifications efficiently. That’s why we have to replace it.
This was not foreseen and will have a substantial impact on the whole development roadmap.
Some answers to questions you might have:
- Will this engine replacement have an impact on the release date of the Alpha?
Yes, undeniably, this will postpone the release of the Alpha by several weeks.
The Alpha will not be released in 2014.
- Does this mean that there will be no new content in 2014?
Perhaps there will be, we will try to release a “pre-alpha” version for Christmas. We hope to be able to include some “simple” multiplayer gameplay and perhaps a new gameplay feature. All of this using the new engine. This will depend on the time needed by the development team in order to integrate the new engine.
- Have you already chosen the new engine?
We are still evaluating some of them, and will keep you updated next month.
Our objective is to choose an engine which not only satisfies the rendering specifications we need but also will enable us to increase our productivity in the future (physics, AI, networking, and so on…). So it’s a bad news right now but it will be a great improvement for the project development in its globality.
The following schema represents the different zones of the first planet. The 5 zones on the surface are split up into 17 biomes, with each its topography, its wildlife, its dungeons, its constructions. In this picture we only disclose the topography of the biomes.
The red deer, the peacock and the squirrel are part of a long list of living beings which will inhabit each biome.
Aside from the game development, you have certainly noticed that we keep updating our web tool:
- you can now publish pictures of your constructions on the forum.
- you can now rate posts and sort them by popularity
- a new version of the “my account” page has been released, which is clearer, more practical and which will soon be improved with new functionalities (private messaging, web site/forum settings)
- people who have supported us on Kickstarter and the 2 months after Kickstarter have now access to a new space where they can manage their rewards.