Lag on Multiplayer & Single Player

negodfre Posts: 5 Registration: 2014-06-15
Hello,

I played Stellar Overload during some of the earlier Beta and experienced a lot of lag / drop in fps.

I recently tested out the EA (downloaded 6-3-17) so I assume that is EA 3.

I didn't experience much drop in fps in Single Player mode until utilizing a speeder in story mode. If I increased to max settings (Epic, High resolution cube distance), I consistently got an fps of around 30-40.

I gave my additional key to a friend to play over multiplayer and the fps and server lag was quite unbearable. This seemed to occur frequently once you started to face enemies as well as riding the speeder.

We both lowered our graphics settings to low and made sure to keep the High-Resolution Cube Draw Distance (meters) to the default 24 (meters).

I tried to host (create a map) and so did he. But that didn't appear to improve anything.

My PC:

AMD FX(tm)-8320 8-Core Processor 3.5 GHz
RAM: 24 GB
Windows 10 OS - 64 Bit
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 6GB

Network Speed:
~18 mbps Download (Based on Speedtest.com) should be closer to 55mbps

Is this a common issue (drop in fps and lag using multiplayer)?

Are there any options that I could try to change to increase performance?
(we both didn't use dynamic shadows)
Does increasing thread count increase performance?

Thank you,
Nate
#1 2017-06-04
My friend's PC:
AMD 6-Core 3.3GHz Processor
16GB DDR3 RAM
NVIDIA Geforce GTX 970 Graphics Card
#2 2017-06-04
cyberjasse Registration: 2014-08-03
Can you tell us the distance of active view and the number of additional tasks/threads you configured in the option menu ?
Also, when you tried the multiplayer, were you in creative mode ?

With a PC less powerful than your, I didn't experience lag even in multiplayer and on a motojet. But I doesn't configure an active distance view more than 40.
#3 2017-06-05
The high res block distance was 24 (I believe this is what you refer to as active view). I originally had the threads at the default value of 2.

Increasing to 3 threads did increase the performance on single player, but I still experienced a lot of fps drop when I got to the raffinery in story mode. Went from 60 fps to 30.

All of the gameplay was during story mode. I haven't had the chance to test increasing the threads for multiplayer if that helps.

Thank you,
Nate
#4 2017-06-05
Modified by negodfre on 2017-06-06.
cyberjasse Registration: 2014-08-03
This is strange. And your friend, does it configure its active distance view to 24 ? Because a client with a high active distance view can cause bad performance on the server. And so perhaps with a very high distance view, the server have to synchronize the movement of enemies in a very large area (and load much more chunks if there is some modifications on the environment you did).
But it still seeming strange for your very powerful computer. :-s

Normally the developers read all message on forums but they are correcting a horrible but for the moment.
#5 2017-06-06
I will have to check with my friend.

Here's a vid link to single player showing lag: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n9BzsZbCaLM.

I'm just walking around and in the top right corner you can see the fps drop.
#6 2017-06-07
We tried it out last night. My friend previously had his high res block distance set to 24 and we kept it that way. We both went to high graphics and changed the thread count to 3.

The thread count seemed to help and the game was playable. However, the fps did drop quite a bit at the raffinery going down to around 20 fps to 30 fps.

Finally, we quit after he went through a teleportal and got 'stuck' in it. He just never came out. I could see his health bar, and he could hear me shooting. However, he never loaded into the new area after 2 minutes of waiting.
The last 30 seconds of the teleportal glitch is shown at this link:

https://youtu.be/ha2wEDe2zhk

In case that is helpful.

I think we're going to wait till full access before testing it again. Hopefully, these bugs and performance issues can be fixed in some way.
#7 2017-06-07
Modified by negodfre on 2017-06-07.
Close We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website.
By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here for more information about cookies.

Altalus

Send a friend request to

Send Request Cancel
Close

Do you really want to report this nickname () as abusive?

An error occured...Please retry or contact us to solve the problem

Thank you for accepting the forum terms of use.
You now have access to all the forum features (including creating new topics and messages).

Reply Quote Modify Delete Moderate Report as critical Add to CD bookmarks Remove from CD bookmarks Close topic (Re)open topic Set as post-it Stop setting up as post-it Set as announcement Stop setting up as announcement Jump to first Cubical Drift message Next Cubical Drift message

Do you really want to delete this message (this operation cannot be undone)?
Please note that if your message is the first one of a topic, the topic will be deleted too.

Cancel Submit