Radar/Map

Viendra Posts: 119 Registration: 2014-06-02
So any ideas if a map would be good? I know it'd be copying cube world if you do it right but that doesn't make it bad.

I like the 3d scaled model of the world, much easier to use.
#1 2014-07-20
Mayo5 Posts: 59 Registration: 2014-07-01
Maybe start with no map then craft a paper map and eventually a GPS type of gizmo. That could be interesting.
#2 2014-07-21
Yeah i like that idea. Makes you appreciate it more than just handing it to you from the start. Good thinking Mayo
#3 2014-07-21
NeoM Posts: 1172 Registration: 2014-04-04
Indeed we want a scalable UI, depending on what you have crafted and equipped.
#4 2014-07-22
Thanks for the feedback NeoM
#5 2014-07-22
Gazz Posts: 14 Registration: 2015-06-01
There is a map in the story but when I dug into a wall, I pretty much got lost instantly.

Everything around you is dark and you have no idea if you're above or below the shown map level.
#6 2015-06-02
The map only works while you are in the dungeon.
As soon as you go outside the boundaries, the map will simply show nothing.
This is our first iteration on this game mechanic, we will surely improve it in the future.
#7 2015-06-02
Gazz Posts: 14 Registration: 2015-06-01
The current approach - even if only intended for dungeons - might be usable for outside areas, too.

I see 2 basic approaches.

1. What you have now: a horizontal cut through the terrain.
If the player moves above or below this level, the map changes dynamically to show the next slice.
Only it would have finer vertical resolution than your dungeon map.

2. The map shows the "surface" you can walk along.
This would require the game to check which blocks you can path to which would probably be too erratic and too difficult to "get right".
#8 2015-06-02
Ramfublio Posts: 8 Registration: 2015-03-01
Related to maps - I would like the ability to add my own waypoint (like "North Pole" or "Rohk Camp". I find that navigation aid very helpful!
#9 2015-11-24
FoamCube Posts: 7 Registration: 2014-11-06 Popularity: 1
What about a space map?

Local System etc
#10 2017-03-06
Close We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website.
By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here for more information about cookies.

Altalus

Send a friend request to

Send Request Cancel
Close

Do you really want to report this nickname () as abusive?

An error occured...Please retry or contact us to solve the problem

Thank you for accepting the forum terms of use.
You now have access to all the forum features (including creating new topics and messages).

Reply Quote Modify Delete Moderate Report as critical Add to CD bookmarks Remove from CD bookmarks Close topic (Re)open topic Set as post-it Stop setting up as post-it Set as announcement Stop setting up as announcement Jump to first Cubical Drift message Next Cubical Drift message

Do you really want to delete this message (this operation cannot be undone)?
Please note that if your message is the first one of a topic, the topic will be deleted too.

Cancel Submit